Archive for the ‘Ishan Grover’ Category

North Market Street

February 17, 2012

26 West Orange Street:

This address houses a home decor store ‘Pappagallo’ located on the intersection of west orange and north market street. The building is 3 stories high and is clearly distinguished by the use of windows. The front entrance facade of the building has been slapped on limestone on top of brick. The rest of the brick can be spotted around the back of the building. This communicates a current store inviting customers into the space. Further the entrance of the store is set back into the building creating space on the outside where the store items are displayed behind a glass. This building uses the elements of a decorated shed, i.e. it uses signage on the exterior to suggest what is inside.

51 North Market Street:

This is the neighboring building to the above one. They share a wall. However, this is a two storied building which is now a night club. Additionally, this building also uses the elements of a decorated shed with a complete white painted facade.The windows of this building are colored suggesting a fun place for people to get together for special events.

49, 43 North Market Street (44- 50 North Queen street)

This is the tallest building of the block with 5 floors. Also, the building is monochromatic characterized by brick. The building facade includes many windows on each floor. A part of building is owned by ‘oh la la creations’ on the north market side and a Caribbean restaurant on the north queen side. The entrance of the building is marked by ‘Central Market Mall’. Further the building has no classical references. The enormity of the building suggests what used the building used to be earlier.

33-35 North Market Street :

The initial use of the building was a bank ‘Lancaster Trust Company’. Now it is the ‘Quilt Museum’. With the change in its utilitas came a change in its venustas. Earlier the front facade did not exist and one could see the barrel vault from afar. Today, that vault is set back with the addition of the ‘quilt museum’ entrance extending onto the road. However, the vault speaks of a Roman past of the Medici’s with an actual vault inside. Today, the glass facade suggest a modern addition to a 19th c. building reasserting the adaptive reuse of buildings.

Advertisements

Municipal Building (1891)

February 16, 2012

Utilitas:

Lancaster’s Municipal building is located at 120 North Duke Street. Initially, the purpose of this building was to function as a post office. However, in 1931, it changed its function to become Lancaster’s Municipal building. The building now occupies several government departments such as; city’s water works, mayors office, human resources, public works, building permits and planning. As it houses various departments, the building program utilizes an additive plan, in order to distinguish between the departments. As the additive plan is more flexible than theĀ divisive plan, the building program was capable of changing accodring to the changing needs of society. Further, adding to the convenience is the use of two entry/exit ways. Having two entry/exit ways, eases and controls the clients/workers entering and exiting the building.

Firmitas:

The system of construction is trabeated characterized by a box like shape. However, the box like shape is discontinued by the use of surface articulation and also arcuated windows. The building facade is slapped on by limestone under which are masonry walls holding the building up. There is no sign of the use of iron or steel.

Venustas:

The floors of the building are clearly distinguished by a horizontal element running around the building between the first and second floor. The arched windows make it possible to add large windows in order to gain light. The thickness of the walls are also visible as the windows are set back into the building allowing the walls to stick out. “The recessed doors and windows not only break up the surface but reveal the thickness of the wall”. The building is monochromatic and occupies a large area with a large scale. The roof of the building is a ‘hip roof’ made of copper.

Communication:

The building is a decorated shed. Its monumental scale speaks of an important landmark in the city. The location of the building is near the center of the city or the intersection of east and west, bringing the citizens of the city together.

Henry Hines

February 3, 2012

Henry Hines was born on August 22, 1804 and passed away 47 years later in 1851. The only information that can be gained is from his tombstone. There is no other information about his life on the internet or the directory. His name is accompanied by his wife’s name who passed away in 1895. Additionally, the tombstone includes another name Margaret who died in 1851. The tombstone is characterized by a obelisk shaped structure placed on an elevated pedestal.

North Market Street 33-51, West Orange 26

February 3, 2012

N.Queen, W.Orange Street and N. Market Street

These three streets are occupied by long horizontal buildings stretching from one block to another.

26 – West Orange Street

This building first appears on the map of 1886 at the intersection of West Orange and North Market street. The 1886-1912 plan shows the 3 storied building to be divided in two unequal parts. However, the 1929 plan does not represent a dividing wall in its plan. A home decor shop ‘Pappagallo’ occupies it.

51- North Market Street

The dimensions of this space have remained the same since it appeared first on the map of 1886. However, a tobacco company sign first appears on the map of 1891. Over the years, in 1912, it becomes a cigar factory and in 1929 becomes a garage. The building remains a two stories structure since 1886.

49, 43 – North Market Street (44 – 50 N. Queen Street)

Through the years between 1886 and 1897, there appears to be a gap between the building walls of 51 North Market and 49 North Market street. However, looking at the 1929 map, the gap has been covered by extension of 49 N Market street. In 1891, the building appears to be functioning as a tobacco factory called, ‘C.G.Herr’. Subsequently the C.G. Herr was taken over by ‘Reilly Bro’s and Raub Wholesale and Retail Hardware’. The building took over 43 N Market and in order had a bigger store as it extended through the block to 44 N Queen- 50 N Queen street.

33, 35 – North Market Street

This building first appears in the map of 1886 under the name, ‘liver’, found at the intersection of W. Grant and N. Market street. In 1897, it was called the Germania Turnverain Building and is still four stories high. Further in 1929, the building functioned as a printing company on the first and second floor and as a storage on the fourth floor.