Archive for the ‘Erin Foley’ Category

Watt and Shand Department Store

February 17, 2012

Utilitas: The Watt and Shand building was a department store so its main function was to attract customers who would want to shop in their store.  From the Sanborn maps, we can see that the department store began small, but as the store became more popular the company acquired other buildings on the block.  The department store is now made up of seven different buildings and now takes up the entire block.  The large display windows on the first floor were an important design for the function of the department store since they would display the goods they had to sell in order to attract customers to shop at the Watt and Shand department store.

Firmitas: The Watt and Shand department store was made of stone which was used structurally but also decoratively as there are many ornamentations on each of the facades.  This building uses a trabeated structural system  because the department store has straight horizontal beams rather than arches.  This trabeated structure gives the building a solid, boxy shape with straight vertical walls that draw the eye upwards.  Although the third set of windows are arched, this was more of a decorative decision than a structural one.   Because the building is made of limestone, it provides a very sturdy foundation for the building to rest on.

Venustas: The Watt and Shand department store was designed to attract customers who would desire to purchase the store’s goods.  The building is beautiful and stands out among the simple brick structures such as the City Hall cross the street in Penn square.  This building has a very classical feel to it and the façade is limestone.  The building  can be characterized as formal because it spreads out horizontally, has identical display windows, and its main entry is in the center on the façade that is rounded out.  The building has many ornamentations from the classical style of the Romans and Greeks.  The use of the display windows is important because they are large and allow natural light into the building to create a nice atmosphere for the clients who are shopping.


West King Street 1-23

February 14, 2012

For this weekly exercise, I was assigned the city block on the corner of West King Street next to Penn Square. This included street numbers 23, 19, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 3, and 1 West King Street. My block houses the historic buildings of Lancaster City that were constructed in the 1790’s and each building still exists today because of their historical importance. These are the only buildings that remain today in the center of town from the post-Revolutionary War period.

1/3/5 W. King Street.
1886: Telephone Exchange and Pianos
1891: Barbershop/City Offices/Telephone Exchange
1912: Lancaster City Hall
1929: Lancaster City Hall (Georgian style) was built in 1795-1797, this building was used for the county’s public offices, the Pennsylvania State Capitol (1800-1812), US Post Office, and the Lancaster City Hall.
Present: Since 1974 it has been the Heritage Center Museum of Lancaster County.

7/9/11/13 W. King Street
Masonic Lodge was built from 1798-1799.
1886: #11/13 Market, Masonic Hall 2nd
1891: #11/13 Restaurant, Masonic Hall 2nd
1912: #7 Store, #9, Store, #11/13 Restaurant, Masonic Hall 2nd
1929: #7 Store, #9, Store, #11/13 Restaurant, Masonic Hall 2nd
Present: #7 Lancaster Cultural History Museum Store, #11 Strawberry & Co. #13 Lancaster Cultural History Museum

15 W. King Street
1886: Milly
1891: Milly
1912: Store, Masonic Lodge Rooms 2 & 3
1929: Store, Masonic Lodge Rooms 2 & 3
Present: The Tag Shop, homes above

17 W. King Street
1886: Gent’s Furn
1891: B.A.S (?) shared store with #19 W. King Street
Address does not exist in the 1912 or 1929 maps

19 W. King Street
1886: Pub
1891: B.A.S (?) shared store with #17 W. King Street
1912: Store, Masonic Lodge Rooms 2 & 3
1929: Store, Masonic Lodge Rooms 2 & 3

23 W King St.
1886: Drugstore
1891: Drugstore
1912: Drugstore
1929: Drugstore

Burg Witmer Tomb Lancaster Cemetery

February 2, 2012

(Individuals buried here are indicated in bold)

Christian Burg: (dates are illegible) bought a house in 1763??, father of John Burg??

John Burg (March 29, 1753-December 18, 1834) died at age 81.  He was a soldier of the Revolutionary War and was at the battle of Long Island.  When the term of his service expired he retired to his native town, Lancaster, in which he resided until his death.  He was also a trustee of his church, the German Lutheran Congregation of Lancaster.

Maria Barbara Burg (January 9th, 1754-February 16, 1834) married John Burg. 

Lewis Burg (January 1785-June 7, 1867) son of John Burg and Maria Burg.

Abraham Witmer Jr. (1773-1819) married Anna Catherine Burg (1784-1869) both not on the tombstone, but Anna Catherine Burg must be the daughter of John Burg and Maria Barbara Burg.  They had the following children: Ann(a) Catharine Witmer (1807-1853), Mary Witmer (1809-1818), Juliana Witmer (1813-1885) married John Russel (1797-1874) in 1830, and Theodore Burg Witmer (1818-1856).

Ann(a) Catharine Witmer (1807-1853) -daughter of Anna Catherine Burg, married Alston Boyd in 1826.  She was made the trustee of John Burg’s estate after he died and she put a notice in the Lancaster Examiner and Herald cautioning people to not give anything on credit to Lewis Burg, John Burg’s son.

Theodore (Theo) Burg Witmer (On the front of the family tombstone): was born in Lancaster, PA on April 26, 1818 (7?).  He spent the first year after graduation (from Yale University in 1840) in the Law School of Harvard University and was admitted to the Philadelphia bar in 1843.  He soon sailed for Europe and was absent until 1845.  After that his residence was in Philadelphia but he went back to Europe several times.  While sailing along the Spanish coast (Malaga) of the Mediterranean Sea, he drowned in a collision on March 29, 1856 when he was 38, he was unmarried.

Based on the earliest date of death of people that are buried here, we would have to conclude this monument was constructed around 1834. However, given the monument’s Victorian flair and a death as late as 1867, it is entirely possible that this monument could be a mid-nineteenth century replacement for an earlier tombstone.