West Orange Street 30-50

by

30 West Orange Street: In 1886 the Moravian church appears on the map. This is logical due to its establishment in 1746. At this time it is a one story, one room brick building on the corner of West Orange and North Market. It sits displaced from the street, and appears to have a school attached. It is unclear whether or not the school is located at the same address, but nevertheless, it is in an adjacent building on North Market. After researching I was not able to discover if the church and school were affiliated, but at the time it was common for Moravian churches to have schools for Moravian students attached. In 1891, the Moravian church stands in the same location and the school is still located behind it. No change appears at the 30 West Orange address. In 1897 it is clear that the school is now associated with the Moravian church that still stands. The school is listed as a Parochial school and its floor plan has obvious doorways to the church. The original building at 30 West Orange is in the same condition, but has received the addition of the two-story school and the adjacent one story building adjacent located on the side of the building that does not face North Market Street.

By 1912 the Moravian Church is no longer harboring a school in its construct. Though the building still maintains the addition that was the school in 1897, it is now all space for the church. The space also seems to have been updated from brick construction, to brick construction with a metal cornice. The church also appears to have undergone some construction, for its floor plan now reads that the original building from 1746 is one to two floors instead of just one floor. This is also the earliest appearance of notation that the building has heating by a furnace and electric lighting. By 1920 the construction has changed quite a bit. The church still occupies the space, is made of brick and has a furnace and electric lighting. The floor plan, however, has changed with the addition of four rooms adjacent to the corners of the rear room, which was also the building that was once a school. The rear room is also now three floors instead of two.

Today, the church is only remembered by a placard that denotes its past existence in this location. Currently, a modernized brick building houses the Community First Fund at 30 West Orange Street. The building has a parking garage and an interesting cylinder like structure in the forefront of the main building.

36 West Orange Street: In 1886 a three-room two-story brick building resides on the 36 West Orange locations. It is set back from the street and the specific function of the building is not legible. In 1891 the building still exists in the same conditions as previously mentioned. By 1897 the building has gone through some renovations. The room closest to West Orange Street, or the front of the building, is now listed at two floors. The middle room is also listed at two floors and the furthest room is listed at one floor. There was also an addition of a fourth room off of the first room. It is only one story, and is the smallest of all the rooms.

In 1912 the building serves the function listed as Moravian Personage. It is still in the same location and structure as last mentioned. By 1920 the building exists in the same state and function. Today, however, the building does not exist. The address is currently occupied by the parking garage for the Community First Fund. The Community First Fund resides on 30 West Orange Street and spans across to 36 West Orange.

38 West Orange Street: In 1886, a three story, small rectangular brick building sits back from the street at 38 West Orange Street. It does not have any specific function listed. The building seems to be attached to the building located at 40 West Orange Street, with an occupancy that is not legible on the map. In 1891 building still exists and is three stories. Its function unfortunately is not legible, but it is attached to the 40 West Orange address. In 1897 the building is clearly part of the 40 West Orange Street occupancies and serves as the offices for the Tobacco Company that resides there. The building maintains the same locale but is now two stories instead of three. By 1912 the building has expanded to become part of the Lowell Harness and Collar Company. It is still two stories tall but has expanded width wise from its original position. The building now appears to be eight rooms attached to the building located at 38 West Orange Street.

By 1929 the location seems to be split by two buildings. There is a skinny rectangular building that reaches to the street adjacent to a building that spans as a part of the Ware Rooms and apartments located at 40 West Orange Street. Today the address is home to Access Personal Service Incorporated and is made of cement and cinderblock instead of the original brick. The building is modernized and appears to be about two stories like the original occupant of the address.

40 West Orange Street: In 1886, 40 West Orange Street is a three-room building that also encompasses 38 West Orange Street. It is three stories in the two buildings directly behind the address, and is composed of brick. Unfortunately, its function is not legible. In 1891 the building maintains the same construction as in 1886. It function, however, is listed as offices.

In 1897 the address consists of two additional buildings added to the rear of the prior ones. The two original buildings at the address remain three stories tall, but the additional two are two stories tall. The function of the building appears to be a Tobacco Company. By 1912 the address has expanded into Lowell Harness and Collar Company. It consists of eight buildings, seven of which reside directly behind the address at 40 West Orange Street. Of the four buildings added since 1897, two are two stories, and two are one story. The buildings with legible functions server as collar marketing and collar stuffing. In 1929 address takes up 38 and 40 West Orange and serves as the Ware Rooms and as apartments. The address is only made up of four rooms, two at the front of the building, one skinny intermediate room, and then an extensive back room with three stories.

Today the building does not exist. The extensive space that one occupied 40 West Orange Street is only a parking lot. The parking lot can only be accessed from North Prince Street.

42-44 West Orange Street: In 1886 an extensive carriage company is located at 42-44 West Orange Street. It is comprised of what appears to be six rooms. The main room located closest to the street is four stories tall and denotes Ware Rooms. It is logical that these are just rooms associated with the company. All rooms behind are three stories. In 1891 the carriage company still exists at the same address. The second room back from the front of the building has been sectioned into three rooms. The main room still denotes Ware Rooms.

By 1897 the building is denoted as D.A. Atlick’s Sons Carriage Company. The second room back from the street is no longer sectioned into three rooms and one of the adjacent rooms is now one story. All following rooms are still three stories. In 1912 the building located on this address is slightly smaller that the original. The room closest to the street is now four and a half stories and is only followed by three large rooms. The building serves the function of public storage. In 1929, the building is expanded wider in the back portions. The first two rooms are still large and not sectioned, but the back room is expanded and sectioned into seven rooms. The first two rooms have the same number of stories, but the back rooms range from one to three stories. The function of the building is now listed as American Seed Company and United Stores Company. The front two rooms are used for mail orders. Today, most of this plot is occupied by a tar parking lot. Kim’s Custom Cleaning, however, does span some of the address closer to the corner of North Prince and West Orange Street.

50 West Orange Street (59 North Prince Street): In 1886 Union Bethel, established in 1845, occupies 50 West Orange Street. It is two to three stories and is only one room. In 1891 and 1897 the address is structurally and functionally the same as it was in 1886. In 1912 the building is listed as Bethel of the Church of God. It has a furnace for heating and electric lights. The building is now listed as two stories in the front of the building, but three stories on the wall facing North Market Street. In 1929, the building is not listed with any function, but is sectioned into four rooms. The front room is “L” shaped in the corner of the building next to North Prince. It is one story at this point. The interior room is three stories, followed by another three-story section, a two story section and lastly a two and a half story section. Today the building is window fronted and serves as Kim’s Custom Cleaners. The address of the business is listed as 59 North Prince Street.

VENUSTAS

 

 

30 West Orange Street: Today, 30 West Orange Street is occupied by a modern looking building. Luckily due to its brick exterior that disguises its interior structure, it does adhere to the flow of the more dated block.

The building is “picturesque” in its form for it is not symmetrical and consists of additive structures that stray from the simplicity of the classical style. The second floor of the building overhangs over the first floor to create the abstract shape. The location of this building on a corner plot allows attention to be drawn to the irregularities. The building also consists of plain cement cornices that line the two levels of the flat roof.

There is no significant ornamentation on the building but the most notable feature is the cylinder addition on the front of the building. The shape gives the building its modern appearance while adding some visual appeal.

 

38 West Orange Street: The façade of 38 West Orange is marked by a variety of textures and components. Most notably the building is asymmetrical in form and comprised of a decorative brick top half and a white cement bottom half. On the lining of both flat roofs is a simple classical style cornice.

The building’s brick exterior does not reflect light and the two overhanging dormers above the door cast shadows on the sidewalk. To make up for the lack of natural light absorbed, the building has light fixtures that reside on either side of the two doors.

The contrast of the white shutters on the red brick draws attention to the upper half of the building. Due to the contrasting colors the building is more picturesque than formal.

 

50 West Orange Street: At 50 West Orange Street there are two recognizable facades. The first level of the building consists completely of windows with dividing framing. In between each set of windows is a contrasting frame of cream cement. The rest of the level consists of gray cement. At the roof of the first level is a simple decorative cornice that continues across the whole perimeter of the building’s lower level. There are ornamental fixtures accented with a maroon color that are placed on the ends of the outer walls as well as at the points where the windows are separated. The fixtures are not ornate but draw from a renaissance style of ornamentation.

The large windows allow natural light to flow in and for the building to appear open and light.  It also allows natural light to be reflected back onto the street.

The second level of the building is displaced further back from the first. Its façade is brick and does not flow with the lower level. The most notable feature is the asymmetric and stair like silhouette. Due to the architectural design of the building, there are five levels of flat roof’s that all have a simple marble like cornices at their edges. The building also has two arch style windows that differ from the other windows on the same face. This is characteristic of a picturesque form of venustas. The building also has three recessed bays in which the windows are located. This gives the building depth and interesting aesthetic character.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: