East King Street 2-27, South Queen Street 7-21

by

1912

10 and 2 East King Street. Both of these locations in 1912 are part of the same building.  This particular building is Watt and Shand Department Store.  More advanced in technology in this year, as it shows an automatic sprinkler on the roof of the building.  This building structure still exists in Lancaster today.  As seen on the map of 1929, it is still the Watt and Shand Department Store, although in present day Lancaster it is a part of a new construction process, altering the outside, and now contains a bank in its place.

24 and 25 East King Street. Just as 10 and 2, 24 and 25 share the face of the same building.  Both narrow structures make up a wholesale liquor store.  The structure still remains today, but is also part of the new construction and bank.  Also, laid out in front of the buildings is a new and large circular fountain.

26 East King Street. 26 is a single, narrow building.  Due to the blurry letters on the map, it’s difficult to make out what its purpose was, but assuming its location it is probably a store of some kind.  This buildings structure still exists in downtown Lancaster, making up part of the new bank and in front of the newly designed fountain.

27 East King Street. 27 is also a single, narrow building located at the corner and extends back on its street side adjacent edge.  The foundation of the building still exists and helps make up part of the massive bank.

7 South Queen Street. 7 is a single, square shaped building which used to be an oils and painters club.  Although, being 4 stories high, it must have contained other aspects.  Possibly apartment style living.  This building still exists in present day Lancaster but it is no longer an oil and paint club.

9 and 11 South Queen Street. Although it’s hard to make out the writing on the map, these 2 addresses share the same building.  A store of some sort was contained in 9, and a kindergarden in 11.  The building still remains, but is filled with different stores.

13 South Queen Street. This building does not exist yet on the 1912 map.  There is a narrow strip in its place, although it does show up on the 1929 map.  Its creation would have had to be between 1912 and 1929.

15 South Queen Street. 15 was located with a tiny gap in between 9 and 11, where 13 was yet to be built.  The buildings purpose contained 2 apartments and a tailor shop.  This structure still remains today but it’s no longer a tailor shop.  It is no more than 2 stories, as it used to be, and contains a store on ground level.

17 South Queen Street. Like 15, this building also contained 2 apartments in it.  Other than apartment style living, it contained a harness making store.  The building still stands today, except it has more stories and does not contain its old harness making store (harnesses must have went out of style)

19 and 21 South Queen Street. Only half of what existed in 1921 exists in 1912.  It is still one lot and one building containing a young women’s Christian club.  In 1929, as well as in present day Lancaster, the building itself stretches as far back as where Watt and Shand’s Department Store is on East King Street.  This building still exists today but with a different purpose.

1891

10 and 8 East King Street. Both of these addresses make one slot of the building.  Up front, is some sort of office, but as it stretches back, it turns into a “Buisness College”.  While the structure is the same as in 1912, it doesn’t have many of the new technological aspects such as the automatic sprinklers in 1912.

6 East King Street. Contains a painting store, stretching as far back as 10 and 8, and even opens up and connects in the middle a little bit.  They must have taken out 10 and 8 at some point before 1912 and combined it to make Watt and Shands Department Store.

4 and 2 East King Street. Contains 2 buildings with two different entrances, although they do connect in the middle.  4 seems to be a harness shop and I can’t make out what building 2 is because of the print on the map.  On the adjacent side of the building on South Queen Street, lay 3 more stores, unlike in 1912 when it’s on big right angle of a building.

24 and 25 East King Street. These two addresses share the same lot.  The print on the map is very blurry but it looks like it contained a tailor shop and some sort of bookstore.  These stores changed by 1912 and joined buildings to create a wholesale liquor store.

26 East King Street. Contains a single standing building, although I can’t make out what the buildings purpose is on the map due to the small print.  From the descriptions on the 1891 map and the 1912 map it seems that store still remains the same.

27 East King Street. 27 contains a bank along with a good amount of its building on its adjacent side on South Queen Street.  In 1912, this building doesn’t exist, being it was conformed into one larger building.

7 South Queen Street. Just as it was in 1912, 7 is still a paint and oil supply center.

9 and 11 South Queen Street. Both of these addresses in 1891 are a part of one building, which is named “Hardm”.  By 1921, this building was split into two different categories containg a kindergarten and some other sort of store.

13 and 15 South Queen Street. Both of these addresses share the same building.  The purpose of it is an office building, with other miscellaneous smaller buildings, still attached, behind it.  Just like the 1912 map, there is still a gap between 11 and 13 South Queen Sreet.

17 South Queen Street. 17 is an individual building containing a drug store.  The buildings purpose changed before 1912 when it became apartment style living and a harness shop.

19 and 23 South Queen Street. Both of these buildings, while not connected; share the same sort of structure.  They are separated by a thin wall and has the letters “DWG” on both of them although I’m not sure the meaning of those letters.  Before 1912, these buildings were conjoined and made into a women’s Christian club.

1886

10, 8, and 6 East King Street. All of these addresses are a part of one rectangular style building with a wall from the front to about half way through the structure opening all of them up into one building.  The writing on the map is very hard to make out, but by 1891, the plot splits into basically 2 buildings which contained an office, business college, and a paint store.

4 East King Street. 4 is a slender building with an “R and S” logo on it.  Its purpose was only momentary, seeing as by 1891, it turns into a harness shop.

2 and 21 East King Street. This location shares the same building, spreading from East King, to its adjacent edge on South Queen.  This set up was also only momentary seeing as by 1891, there still contains stores on the adjacent edge of the building but they all contain different purposes.

22 East King Street. This plot contains a tiny rectangular shaped building.  The writing is too small to make out but by 1891, this store is no longer where it lies nor existing in 1886

24 and 25 East King Street. Both addresses create on, narrow and long rectangular shaped building.  In 1891, this building is still in the same location, possibly the containing the same stores.  But by 1912, this location was conjoined to make on large right angle shaped building.

26 and 27 East King Street. Just as in 1891, these two buildings remain independent containing different shops, they could possibly be the same as they are in 1891 but the print on both maps is too hard to make out.  Just like 24 and 25, by 1912, these buildings are wiped out to make one large building.

5 and 7 South Queen Street. While 5 isn’t in existence in 1891, these two addresses share a square shaped building, its purpose undetermined.  By 1891, this location turns into an oil and paint supply store.

9 and 11 South Queen Street. These two addresses share one building, and it is labeled “Harbor”.  Its unique in that this building stretches back significantly far and attaches to a different type of store.  By 1891 and 1912, the completely redo the style of this section, taking away the long narrow section that stretches to attach to another store.

13 and 15 South Queen Street. Both addresses come together in one building to form one big office building that stretches back pretty far with some other sort of square parts that are still attached. By 1891, the building remains the same, but by 1912, they are separated into two different structures

17 South Queen Street. 17 is one slender like rectangular building, with a skinnier rectangular building protruding out of the back of it.  Its purpose is, like in 1891, is a drug store.  By 1912, this turns into an apartment building.

19 South Queen Street. 19 is the same building structure, style, and purpose as it is in 1891.  It still contains the letters “DWG” on it but by 1912, it becomes another harness maker shop.

23 South Queen Street. 23 is drastically different than it was in both other years.  It is detached from building 19, and has the same “DWG” on it, making them two of the same buildings.  Both buildings remain detached in 1891, but by 1921, they get rid of both buildings, making one and turning it into a young women’s Christian club.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: